Canal Life

Aug. 20 2016

Today we enter the Oswego Canal, heading for Lock 6 and counting down to Lock 1. Then we enter the Erie Canal.

Minetto

Left Oswego at 8:15 a.m. after fueling up.  Lock 8, Lock 7, 6, 5 and we arrive in Minetto. Tied up to the wall, but all three power posts were dead, so no air and it was blazing hot.  Met a young girl and her chihuahua who had single handed her way in a Hughes 26 ft. to the Bahamas and was returning after a year to Belleville with her last 10 dollars.  Said the whole thing cost her $4000.  Wow, brave young lady (or crazy).

Walked into town...there wasn't one.  We did find a really good fishing rod for for $10 at a garage sale though, now we both have one, hah hah.  I promised I would try fish if it was caught, cleaned and cooked while I wasn't looking, and now I have my own rod, hmmm.

Off to somewhere with power.

Fulton

Entering Lock 3, not sure what happened to Lock 4.

The grimy rope you have to hang on to.

Doors closed behind us.

Did some driving but haven't attempted a lock yet.  Still getting used to our new steering system. 

Arrived in Fulton and tied up to the wall and I mean wall. Time for a spiced rum for Wallace and a beer for me.  

 This was the view out the window.



Including the fence on top an 8 foot climb off the boat.  I made it to the top of the wall but the fence had no footholds so I had to have Wallace (who by the way just box horsed over the top, show off) hold me as I climbed it...that fiasco was followed by an ovation from the men fishing off the dock..that's right the old lady made it over. 

Went for a walk to the town.  Fulton was closed which led to the conversation that we quite often of what day is this?  Oh well, found ice cream and came back to the air conditioning.

A Mainship 34 called Mazurka pulled in beside us and Wallace went to lend a hand.  The Captain says hi DIrt Free how are you doing Boatpoker.  Jeff had been following us on the website. He brought over some beers and when he walked in he said hi Sharon.  Wow what are the odds.  Even more coincidental was that Wallace and I had won a canal pass for the Rideau at the boat show which we weren't going to use so Wallace offered it to the first comer on this web site...it was Jeff.



Ask me if I'm having fun!!





Phoenix

August 21, 2016

Waited for Lock 2 to open and off to Phoenix in the pouring rain.  We will stay here for a few days.  More on this later....

Comments

  1. What an adventure. Loved you put the map of canals.....I can't vision unless I see LOL. Looks and sounds like you're loving it and having a great time. What a life.....makes mine even more boring than it is 😝. Keep blogging....love keeping up with you and following daily 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map is a great idea! Loving the blog, happy to be able to follow your most excellent adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Guys I have been through the lock system 3 times to NY and it has always rained for at least 2 days straight going through

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Phoenix

Oswego

The Lady